I955 FM
  • WATCH
    LIVE
  • CALL US AT:

    OFF AIR : 1-868-628-4955 (Front Desk)

    ON AIR : 1-868-622-3937 (Live On Air )

A MAN CHARGED WITH 25 COUNTS OF MOTOR VEHICLE LARCENY IS DENIED BAIL…

A man charged with 25 counts of motor vehicle larceny is denied bail.

A statement from the police service says, Keron Delisia, also known as “Tacbir” and “Greedy,” was charged with 25 counts of larceny of motor vehicles arising out of 24 incidents in 2025 and one incident in 2026.

The TTPS says, Mr. Delisia appeared before master Rhea Liebert at the Chaguanas Masters’ Court on Monday and Tuesday.

He was not called upon to plead and was denied bail.

The matter was adjourned to June 2.

The TTPS says, Mr. Delisia was arrested following extensive investigations into multiple reports of motor vehicle larceny, in the central division by officers of the Chaguanas Criminal Investigations Department.

Commissioner of Police Allister Guevarro commended the investigators for their efforts in solving the cases, and bringing the accused before the court.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

PSA PRESIDENT CONFIRMS RETIREES WILL GET THEIR 10 PERCENT IN ARREARS…

A promise to retirees in the public service.

They are being told, finalization of their 10 percent agreement is on its way.

In a post to Facebook last Sunday evening, PSA President Felisha Thomas announced, the union was on its’ way to signing off on a date on which full arrears at 10% will be paid.

Ms. Thomas says, these discussions will be in tandem with ongoing talks regarding the remainder of arrears, owed to public servants following the December 2nd, 10 percent agreement signed with the Chief Personnel officer.

The PSA president, states as negotiations continue for members of the civil service, statutory authorities subject to the, statutory authorities act and the Tobago House of Assembly, retirees will receive all of their arrears.

She further adds, that when the PSA rejected 4%, the union also rejected a $4000 buyout of arrears owed to retirees.

The post says, this announcement will be welcomed news for retirees who have been consistently seeking updates from the, PSA regarding their benefits.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

TEACHERS UNCERTAIN ABOUT PROMISED NEW SALARIES…

The Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers Association says, it appears members will not be receiving their reconstructed salaries at the end of January.

Earlier this month, TTUTA’s President Crystal Ashe was on record, as saying members of the teaching service would receive their new monies by months end.

However, on Monday Minister of Finance Davendranath Tancoo reportedly told the media, he did not issue any instruction for teachers to receive any wage increases from January 2026.

Yesterday, Mr. Ashe told Newscentre Five, the minister of finance has left teachers confused as the chief personnel officer, earlier assured payment.

Mr. Ashe is not laying blame on the CPO saying instead that he believes Dr. Darryl Dindial, would have gotten the green light from the finance minister, before giving a commitment.  

The ministry of finance is yet to respond to this latest development.  

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

VICTORY FOR THE TPP IN TOBAGO…

All fifteen seats in the Tobago House of Assembly have gone to the ruling, Tobago Peoples Party.

The preliminary results make it the second time in history, that one party has won all seats in the house of assembly.

As he hailed the work of his party’s membership, political leader Farley Augustine described the victory as historic.

According to Mr. Augustine, the new assembly is to be sworn in by President Christine Kangaloo on Thursday.

He said, after that event his executive will return to the issue of autonomy for Tobago.

In the camp of the people’s national movement, its Tobago council leader Ancil Dennis told reporters’ last night’s defeat has triggered a period of, transition within the party.

At his party’s headquarters on Robinson Street, Mr. Dennis promised a smooth transition, adding the PNM will do all in its power to hold the new THA executive accountable.

He also pointed to one possible reason for his party’s defeat.

In light of the reported low voter turnout, the PNM Tobago council leader believes yesterday’s victory is nothing to celebrate.

He also stressed the result should not be interpreted to mean, the PNM is dead.

Posted in International News, Local News, News, Regional News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

PRIME MINISTER SAYS THERE WILL BE NO REDUCTION IN TRAFFIC FINES…

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar stands in defense of the surge of traffic tickets, issued in recent days.

She says, there will be no reduction in fines and penalties for traffic offences, but motorists will be given time to put things in order.

In a post on Facebook last evening, the prime minister said, over the last few days, in her statement that the country is a “LAWLESS DUMP”, has been absolutely confirmed by the high number of traffic infractions and deliberately lawless drivers being fined.

She said, the lawlessness was compounded by the blatant dishonesty shown from many of those ticketed, which pretended to have been caught by surprise.

Mrs. Persad Bissessar said, the law would be applied equally across the country.

However, she explained that in the coming weeks the government will go to parliament, to propose reforms which would make it mandatory for drivers to be given time to repair, defects before the fines are enforced.

Mrs. Persad- Bissessar said, ministers Eli Zakour and Roger Alexander provided information to her that, a small minority of traffic wardens, licensing officers, and TTPS officers have been abusing the ticketing system and terrorizing law abiding citizens.

She said, she cannot let this wicked behaviour continue, and must now move to provide protection to law-abiding citizens from delinquent drivers, as well as misbehaving law enforcement officers.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

LOCAL OFFICER AMONG THREE NATIONALS ARRESTED IN THE U.S.

A police officer from Trinidad and Tobago, is among three men arrested in the United States on allegations of conspiracy to import cocaine.

The other two are also from this country.

Their names are Rafael Joseph, Michael Mc Sween and Clevon Persad.

A statement from the United States Embassy in Port of Spain yesterday, said, on December 30th last year, three provisional arrest warrants were served.

Mr. Joseph has been identified as “an active duty officer with the TTPS, with the embassy saying, all three are charged in the eastern district of New York for conspiracy to import, cocaine into the united states and firearms offenses, stemming from a 2024 drug enforcement administration investigation.

The embassy said, personnel from the DEA vetted unit, supported by the TTPS’s Special Investigative Unit and the Transnational Organized Crime Unit, successfully executed the warrants.

The embassy’s charge d’affaires, Dr. Jennifer Neidhart De Ortiz, believes this was a great example of bilateral cooperation between the U.S and Trinidad and Tobago.

She said, it’s a significant blow to not only drug and firearms trafficking, but also against public corruption with the arrest of the police officer.

Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro confirmed close collaboration with United States law enforcement authorities, has resulted in the successful arrest of a TTPS member, who is now awaiting deportation.

Posted in International News, Local News, News, Regional News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

GRANDMOTHER DIES AFTER THE DROWNING OF 10 MONTH OLD BABY…

The grandmother of the ten-month-old baby who drowned in a pool in Diego Martin, is believed to have committed suicide.

Fifty-five year old Deera Seepersad of Penal died, yesterday morning.

The child identified as Alya died on old year’s day.

Her father Nicholas Ramjit, reported to the police that he went upstairs his two-story home, at Ali’s private road, to get skin moisturizer for his infant daughter.

He said, when he returned there was no sign of baby Alya

The man’s wife, 29-year-old Olga Ramjit of the Dominican Republic, was also on the upper floor of the house.

Mr. Ramjit said, he asked the grandmother about Alya’s whereabouts, she could not respond.

Shortly after, the child was found unresponsive in the pool.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

HEFTY FINES FOR MOTORISTS FOR 2026…

Motorists face heavy new fines for speeding and driving under the influence, as the police enforce amendments to the motor vehicles and road traffic act.

Drivers found exceeding speed limits by more than 31 kilometres per hour, can now be issued a $6,000 fixed penalty notice.

While those caught driving without a valid vehicle, insurance certificate risk $10,000 fines.

Drivers arrested for DUI offences face even harsher penalties.

A first offence carries a fine of up to $24,000, while a second offence could reach $45,000, highlighting the government’s commitment to cracking down on high-risk road behaviour.

The TTPS is urging motorists to comply immediately, with all road traffic laws, including observing speed limits, keeping valid insurance, and never drive under the influence of alcohol.

Police warned that offenders caught breaching these rules, would face strict enforcement under the amended regulations.

Trinidad and Tobago recorded a 12 percent reduction in road traffic fatalities in 2025, with 109 deaths compared to 124 in 2024, authorities stressed that every life lost is preventable.

The TTPS called on all road users, to take responsibility for safe driving.

Motorists are encouraged to plan responsibly, such as designating sober drivers or using taxis and ride-share services, to avoid the new, higher penalties.

Works and Transport Minister Jearlean John tell motorists to obey the road traffic rules, and they would have nothing to fear.

The minister also said, road infrastructure is a problem; the government will be focused on this year.

She was speaking with reporters.

Posted in Local News, News, Regional News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

TOP COP CAUTIOUS ABOUT RELEASING INFORMATION ON THE PROBE INTO THE MONAS ISLAND KIDNAPPING

The police commissioner is cautious about releasing information on the investigation into the kidnapping of businessman, Derick Tardieu and his wife Claribel.

The couple was taken from their Monos Island home earlier this month.

The kidnappers demanded 2.5 million US dollars for the couple’s safe return.

Early Wednesday morning, Mr. Tardieu was dropped off on the North Coast Road.

His wife was not with her.

A very cautious Commissioner Allister Guevarro last evening asked, the public to give the family some privacy.

Commissioner Guevarro was on the Beyond the Tape Programme on TV6 where he said; there are some unique elements in this matter.

The commissioner insisted, making public, too much information about the reported crime won’t be good for the investigation.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

DEREK TARDIEU FREED BY HIS KIDNAPPERS…

Businessman Derrick Tardieu, is released by his kidnappers.

He and his wife Claribel were taken from their Monos Island home on December 6th.

The kidnappers demanded, 2.5 million US dollars for the couple’s release.

It is said Mr. Tardieu was dropped off along the North Coast Road, yesterday morning.

Up to yesterday, there was no word on the whereabouts of Mrs. Tardieu

Relatives are said to have issued a statement telling of, Mr. Tardieu’s release and asking that people respect their privacy.

Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro has confirmed the release of the, 70 year old Mr. Tardieu.

The commissioner says, the investigations remain active.

Posted in International News, Local News, News, Regional News, Top News | Leave a comment