I955 FM
  • WATCH
    LIVE
  • CALL US AT:

    OFF AIR : 1-868-628-4955 (Front Desk)

    ON AIR : 1-868-622-3937 (Live On Air )

PRIME MINISTER WANT PROBE OF FIRE THAT CLAIMED THE LIFE OF A MINISTER…

The prime minister wants to know more about the response to the fire, which claimed the lives of his minister and two of her children.

As he continues to mourn minister Lisa Morris Julian’s death, and those of her children Dr. Keith Rowley has instructed that a committee be formed to investigate the circumstances.

The minister in the ministry of education, and her children Xianne and Jesiah Julian perished in a blaze at their home in the borough of Arima on Monday this week.

The fire destroyed the house as well.

There have been questions surrounding the response of the fire service.

Prime Minister Keith Rowley yesterday said, there is need for answers.

On Monday even as the fire raged the fire service said, there was need for more water but this has been denied by the public utilities minister.

Dr. Rowley told reporters yesterday when he got to the scene of the deadly fire he asked for senior officers of the fire service.

The prime minister again said, there has been conflicting information and there has to be clarity.

The prime minister also revealed the cabinet has agreed to a state assisted funeral for Mrs. Morris Julian.

Misses Morris Julian was the member of parliament for D’abadie / Omeara.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

14 YEAR OLD ZAHEER SAMUEL RELASED BY ABDUCTORS…

Police say, fourteen-year-old kidnap victim Zaheer Samuel has been found.

Samuel was kidnapped while at his parents’ business, S&S Plant and Garden Shop, in St. Augustine, early yesterday.

At 5.30 am on Wednesday, the teen was helping his parents set out plants and other items as they prepared to open their shop when a brown wagon, pulled up and two men came out and grabbed Samuel.

They then bundled him into the car and drove off.

The TTPS had been searching for him since then, with his father, William Samuel, appealing to the abductors to release his son.

However, a senior TTPS official confirmed that Zaheer had been found safe.

No other information, including where he was found and his physical condition, was revealed.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

SMOKE INHALATION CAUSED DEATH OF MINISTER AND TWO CHILDREN ACCORDING TO AUTOPSIES…

Autopsies on the bodies of Lisa Morris-Julian and two of her children have determined they died as a result of smoke inhalation.

Misses Morris Julian, her 25 year old daughter Xianne and six year old son Josiah were killed in a fire at their Arima home on Monday this week.

The autopsies was performed on Monday afternoon, hours after their bodies were found at their home on Farfan Street.

Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the fire.

Police officers from the Arima police station were at the burnt structure from about 4 a.m.

Yesterday to ensure the scene was secure.

At about 9 a.m., they were joined by fire offi­cers who spent about six hours combing through the burnt house, for evidence.

Acting chief fire officer Andy Hutchinson is reported as saying, investigators are doing checks to determine the cause of the fire and why it spread the way it did.

He said, a final report on the incident is expected to be completed by the end of the week.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

FIRE SERVICE RESPONDS TO CLAIMS OF SLOW REPSONSE TO DEADLY ARIMA FIRE…

The fire service is explaining why tenders were slow in their response to the fire in Arima, which claimed the lives of minister Lisa Morris-Julian and two of her children.

The fire service has issued a statement saying the tenders at the Arima and Tunapuna stations were on other trouble calls at the time of yesterday’s blaze, on Farfan Street Arima.

Some have criticized the fire service for what was seen by some as a slow response, when the station is a stone’s throw away from the Julian’s home.

The fire service also complained that there were water problems in the area.

Former Mayor of Arima and a close friend of the Morris Julian family, Ashton Forde were at the scene of the deadly blaze yesterday.

He expressed his concern about the response time of the fire service, at the scene.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

MUSLIM WOMAN KILLED IN COUVA HOME INVASION…

A home invasion ends in the killing of 68-year-old Amina Mohammed

The woman was robbed of cash and jewelry at her Couva home last Saturday night.

She was then stabbed in the neck.

Miz Mohammed of Nancy Street in Lisas Gardens was pronounced dead, at the Couva district health facility.

Her husband Nazem Mohammed received minor injuries.

However he lost his wife of 50 years.

Miz Mohammed was the mother of two and a grandmother of three.

She was a retiree of Rentokil.

Reports say, there were four wounds on her neck after the invasion.

Her son 46 year old Ahmad Mohammed believes his mother would not have fought back, because she was a very passive person.

He believes his parents were targets of the bandits.

He says two weeks ago his parents withdrew 10 thousand dollars from the bank, which the killers took in addition to their jewelry.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR DABADIE OMERA DIES IN A FIRE….

Member of parliament and minister in the ministry of education, Lisa Morris Julian has died in a fire at her Farfan Steet Arima home.

Reports are telling us misses Morris Julian and two relatives have perished in the blaze.

The victims are a six year old Josiah Julian and a 23 year old Sian Julian.

Husband Daniel is hospitalized.

Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley was reportedly at the scene as well as the police and the fire service.

She has served as a member of parliament in the house representatives for D’abadie/O’meara since the 2020 general election.

She was at the time of her death a minister in the ministry of education.

She was the mayor of Arima between 2013 and 2020.

She became a teacher and taught English Literature and Language, Communication, and theatre at Barataria South Secondary School and Arima Central Secondary School.

She also worked as a Caribbean examinations council examiner. 

Ms. Morris-Julian became an amateur playwright as a teacher, winning several awards at the secondary schools’ drama festival and appearing on the cropper foundation’s list of emerging Caribbean writers.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

AGREEMENT REACHED BETWEEN CARIBBEAN AIRLINES AND ITS PILOTS

Negotiations between Caribbean Airlines and its pilots have been concluded.

Caribbean Airlines made the announcement last evening.

This concludes the outstanding wage negotiations, which have led to industrial action over the past weeks.

The negotiations were for the period 2015 to 2020

In a release last evening, CAL said the agreement with the Trinidad and Tobago Pilots Association represents an important step in the collaboration with TTALPA.

According to the release the agreement underscored a shared commitment to advancing the interests of the airline, its employees and its customers.

The release said, as always the airline remains focused on delivering exceptional service to its valued customers, and assures the traveling public that operations continue as normal.

The release also said, the airline appreciates the confidences and support, of all stakeholders and reaffirms its commitment to fostering positive relationships and sustainable growth, for the benefit of the entire Caribbean region.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

TOBAGO THROWN INTO DARKNESS…

An island wide blackout in Tobago.

The Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission says, an issue which occurred at the Scarborough.

Substation caused the incident.

In a release this morning ttec says at 10:21 p.m yesterday, December 11th, the entire island of tobago lost electricity supply.

It says initial findings indicate that following the completion of maintenance work on a power transformer at Scarborough, a bus bar fault occurred at the substation.

It says, this caused a cascade of events which resulted in a loss of generation at the cove power station and the island-wide outage to Tobago.

TTEC says, restoration commenced within fifteen minutes and by 12:45 a.m.

Supply had been restored to all customers.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

MAN DRESSED AS SANTA CLAUS AND TWO ACCOMPLICES STAGE ROBBERY IN SAN FERNANDO….

A man wearing a Santa Claus hat, along with two others stage a robbery at a business place in Mon Repos San Fernando.

One of the men carried a gun, when they robbed employees of automotive and industrial supplies limited on Jones Street.

The incident occurred on Monday at around 9:15 in the morning.

The manager and three employees were tied up and robbed of cash, personal possessions, company products and a company vehicle.

Police say the victims were at their workplace when three men – one of whom wore a grey jersey, a pair of blue jeans with a red Santa hat on his head, as well as a fake Santa beard and a hockey mask on his face – entered the business.

They are said, to have pointed the firearm at the manager and announced a robbery.

The suspects tied up their victims using duct tape and then robbed them of cell phones, jewelry, cash and other possessions.

They are said, to have loaded an assortment of automotive paints, sandpaper and miscellaneous auto paint products valued at thousands of dollars into a white two-ton truck and sped off.

The truck is valued at $150,000.

The employees were able to free themselves and contacted the police.

PCS Moses, Khan and other officers of the Mon Repos police station responded and with the assistance of the southern division gang unit, they recovered two of the stolen cell phones on Cooper Grange Street in St John’s Village in San Fernando.

The police also recovered the stolen vehicle, abandoned along Bronte Estate Road.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

ISRAELI PM NETANYAHU APPEARS IN COURT ON CORRUPTION CHARGES…

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is in court for the first time, to give evidence in his corruption trial.

Netanyahu faces charges of fraud, breach of trust and accepting bribes dating back to 2019.

Prosecutors say, the prime minister granted favours to media organizations, in return for favourable press coverage.

He denies any wrongdoing and has pleaded not guilty.

Posted in International News, News, Top News | Leave a comment