I955 FM
  • WATCH
    LIVE
  • CALL US AT:

    OFF AIR : 1-868-628-4955 (Front Desk)

    ON AIR : 1-868-622-3937 (Live On Air )

UK GOVERNMENT SLAMMED BY PRIME MINISTER DR KEITH ROWLEY OVER VISA RESTRICTIONS…

Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley tears into the British government, after its decision to impose visa requirements for Trinidad and Tobago nationals.

Dr. Rowley describes the action as “unfair, unjust and disgraceful.

He said, yesterday the UK’s laws “invited” asylum seekers, which he said include someone who is involved in a matter the Trinidad and Tobago government had written about.

Dr. Rowley believes the development last week sends a clear message.

Dr. Rowley also said, now is the time for this country to complete its independence.

He was addressing the Peoples National Movement, 2025 general election campaign launch at Woodford Square yesterday.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

READY TO LEAVE OFFICE…

Three days before he leaves the Office of The Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley remains convinced his government has been doing its best, to help the police in the fight against crime.

During a pre-recorded interview, which aired last evening on television Dr. Rowley said, the crime situation is not about the performance of the national security minister.

He remains confident Fitzgerald Hinds has been trying.

Dr. Rowley also responded to critics who say, over 60 billion dollars have been spent on national security during his tenure, and there is nothing much to show for it.

He said most of that money was spent on wages.

The interview was titled from Mason Hall to Whitehall…the closing chapter.

The television journalists who conducted the interview were Seigonie Mohammed from TTT, Akash Samaroo from Cnc3 and Juhel Brown from Tv6.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

A LOT DEPENDS ON THE SUCCESS OF THE DRAGON GAS DEAL AS RESERVES ARE LOW SAYS PRIME MINITER ROWLEY…

Prime Minister of T&T, Dr. Keith Rowley

The outgoing Prime Minister says, there is heavy dependence on the success of the dragon gas deal with neighbouring Venezuela.

Dr. Keith Rowley made the statement while addressing the official commemoration ceremony of the Port of Spain General Hospital Central, block yesterday.

Dr. Rowley gave a dose of the grim reality if the deal with, Venezuela is not successful.

He was critical of those who wish the deal, fails.

The Prime Minister said, there are alternatives to keeping the economy afloat…but they come with consequences.

He called on the people not to take the government’s work for granted

Dr. Keith Rowley is resigning from the position on March 16th .

His replacement is the country’s energy minister Stuart Young.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

ACTING POLICE COMMISSIONER PLEASED WITH CARNIVAL CELABRATIONS…

The acting police commissioner is relatively pleased with the work of his officers during carnival celebrations

The festivities ended on Tuesday after what has been called a long season

Acting Commissioner Junior Benjamin said, yesterday the incidents were few.

However, he did note the two homicides recorded during the two days of revelry

The two are 18-year-old national boxer Prince Charles of Guaico Village in Sangre Grande.

He was stabbed during a confrontation with a 57-year-old man.

Sixty-eight year old Bibi Zamilla Swamber was killed at her home in Enterprise Chaguanas.

She was the owner of Swamber’s Inn.

She was found dead in the living room of her house, which was also ransacked.

Nevertheless the acting commissioner applauded the work of his officers in the days leading up to the two-day street parades.

Commissioner Benjamin also took another look at the murder statistics so far this year, when compared to last year this time.

The acting commissioner described the carnival generally safe.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

LARRY LALLA SENIOR COUNSEL LEAVES THE OPPOSITION UNITED NATIONAL CONGRESS…

Long standing member of the United National Congress, Larry Lalla resigns from the party.

Mr. Lalla’s letter is dated February 24th, and addressed to the party’s chairman, Dave Tancoo.

Mr. Lalla explains, that he made this decision after careful consideration over the past few months.

In the letter, he says his decision follows unsuccessful attempts to advocate for change within the UNC, over the past nine years as a key reason for his departure.

Mr. Lalla outlines his efforts, saying he had pushed for change as part of the UNC loyalist’s team in 2015, part of the lotus team in 2020, and part of the united patriots team in 2024.

He says, after these repeated attempts, he concluded that he could afford no more time to his efforts in the party.

Mr. Lalla tells, newscentre five he is keeping his political options open.

He says, despite his in resignation, he is grateful for the relationships built and experiences gained during his time in the UNC.

Leader of the UNC Kamla Persad Bissessar is not too concerned, about the resignation.

She wished him well yesterday saying people are free to join or leave.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

CONCERNS IN TOBAGO OVER CASES OF HAND FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE AT SOME SCHOOLS…

A number of children are being affected by hand, foot, and mouth disease in some Tobago schools.

The Division of Education has confirmed this. 

The division says, cases have been confirmed in Tobago west and at one popular primary school in Scarborough.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

HANS DES VIGNES…..GETS THE NOD FROM THE PNM’S SCREENING COMMITTEE FOR THE DIEGO MARTING WEST CONSTITUENCY…

Finance Minister Colm Imbert has been selected to run for, the Diego Martin Northeast seat for the ruling peoples national movement again.

Last evening, Mr. Imbert went before the screening committee of the PNM.

When he emerged from Balisier House headquarters, there were chanting and jubilation from supporters.

In recent weeks, there was some uncertainty about his bid to serve one more term as MP.

Mr. Imbert has been representing the constituency, for the past 34 years.

The sitting MP, told the media he felt good about the selection and he vowed to make sure that his last term is his best.

Mr. Imbert also sits on the pnm’s screening committee.

Also selected last evening was incumbent MP for Diego Martin Central Symon De Nobriga.

Hans Des Vignes is also the choice of the party, for the Diego Martin West seat.

He is seeking to replace Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley, as the representative.

Dr. Rowley has indicated, he is bowing out of representational politics.

Mr. Des Vignes was the front-runner from very early in the race.

Attorney at law Sanjiv Boodhu was selected to contest the Cumuto-Manzanilla seat for the ruling party as well.

Also there was screening by the united national congress for the Mayaro seat, now held by so-called dissident Rushton Paray.

Although there has been contention within the UNC over Mr. Paray’s challenge of the Kamla Persad Bissessar’s executive last year he says, he is not leaving.

Former executive member of the party, Nicholas Morris was also screened for the seat.

Other nominees screened yesterday include those for Couva North, Couva South and Caroni Central.

Mrs. Persad Bissessar said, yesterday democracy is alive and well in the party.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

15 AND 16 YEAR OLD MALES KILLED IN ATTEMPT TO ESCAPE A POLICE ROAD BLOCK….

Investigators are saying, the two teenagers killed in an accident in Pointe A Pierre, were at the time trying to get away from a police roadblock.

The dead are 16-year-old Kalita Jamal King, and 15-year-old Trey Collymore.

Both were from Marabella.

According to reports, police conducted a road traffic exercise along the Southern Main Road, in Pointe-A-Pierre at around 9.40 pm on Monday.

During the operation, police officers observed a red Nissan Tiida heading north at high speed.

It is said, the officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but it sped off.

Officers pursued the vehicle.

During the chase, police say the driver appeared to have lost control near the flowerpot beach.

The car slammed into a utility pole, on the eastern side of the roadway.

Officers approached the vehicle and found three male passengers pinned in the backseat.

Fsso Solomon and a team attached to the Mon Repos fire station used the jaws of life to remove the three passengers.

Kalita King was pronounced dead at the scene, while his friend died at hospital.

Another 16-year-old male was up to yesterday hospitalized and in serious condition while a 17 year old is being questioned by police.


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

SALARIES REVIEW COMMISSION REPORT, TO BE ADOPTED THIS MONTH…

The new salaries of the Prime Minister, and other public officials are to become effective later this month.

The time frame has reportedly come from a circular, out of the office of the comptroller of accounts.

Reports are saying, the circular is dated January 24th 2025.

It has gone out to permanent secretaries, heads of departments, and the chief administrator of the Tobago House of Assembly and heads of statutory bodies.

The salaries review commission 120th report was laid in the parliament last November.

Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley said then, the cabinet would accept the report and the proposed salary increases for office holders, including the members of the judiciary, the president, ministers and the opposition leader.

Yesterday the leader of the opposition Kamla Persad Bissessar said, it is obscene on the part of the government.

She said, Dr. Rowley has fixed his people before leaving office.

Mrs. Persad Bissessar and her side have been criticizing the move by the government.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

THERE IS A LEAK WITHIN TTPS…

Meanwhile, there are said to be leaks within the police service.

This is the view of, Acting Police Commissioner Junior Benjamin.

Responding to questions regarding illegal gun and ammunition finds, Commissioner Benjamin noted that inroads are being made, but said more can be achieved if confidential information is not disclosed.

He blamed the seepage on some of his officers.

Commissioner Benjamin made it clear, he intends to root out corruption with the TTPS and go after illegal armed persons.

The acting commissioner was a guest on the Tv6 Morning Edition programme yesterday. 

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment