I955 FM
  • WATCH
    LIVE
  • CALL US AT:

    OFF AIR : 1-868-628-4955 (Front Desk)

    ON AIR : 1-868-622-3937 (Live On Air )

FREAK ACCIDENT ALONG NORTH COAST ROAD IN MARACAS CLAIMS THE LIFE OF ONE WOMAN…

The woman killed in a freak accident along the North Coast Road in Maracas, is Natalia Noel.

Reports say, the vehicle plunged several feet down a precipice.

The driver was injured.

The tragedy occurred around 1.30pm, yesterday during heavy rains.

The mini-bus, which plies the North Coast route from Port of Spain, was making its way between the Maracas lookout and the Spring Bridge, when a large tree suddenly toppled onto the road.

The impact knocked the vehicle off the carriageway, and over the edge.

Several motorists who witnessed the crash stopped to help, and contacted police and fire officials.

Fire service search and rescue officers from the Santa Cruz fire station responded, along with crews from the San Juan fire station, the San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation, the Ministry of Works and Transport, and the ministry of rural development and local government’s backhoe team.

Rescuers were able to retrieve the injured driver and passenger from the wreckage; both were taken to the Port of Spain General Hospital where Mrs. Noel died.

Emergency teams used chainsaws to cut the fallen tree into sections, before clearing the road.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

PSA PRESIDENT UPSET OVER DELAY IN THE START OF NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE CPO…

A report today that the president of the Public Services Association, is not pleased with what she sees as a delay, in the start of talks with the chief personnel officer.

Felisha Thomas is quoted as saying, “something doesn’t seem right”.

Up to last week Ms. Thomas was confident CPO retired commander Dr. Daryl Dindial, would have invited the union to commence negotiations in the days ahead.

It was a major promise of the ruling United National Congress, during the election campaign earlier this year.

Finance Minister Davendranath Tancoo, told the parliament during the budget presentation he was given the go-ahead to have the CPO, commence talks.

Ms. Thomas, who wants negotiations and subsequent payments completed by Christmas is quoted as saying, the CPO seems to be delaying the matter.

She said, she has written to the CPO and has proposed today, tomorrow, Thursday and Friday for the talks.

According to Ms. Thomas, she is yet to receive an acknowledgement of the letter.

However, she promised to press on this week.

Ms. Thomas told the guardian newspaper, it seems as though the CPO’s office is now stalling to come to the table and offer ten percent.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

KIDNAPPED VICTIM FOUND DEAD IN CENTRAL…

The 63-year-old man reported kidnapped has been found dead in Couva.

Vishnu Lalla was found in Brechin Castle at around 11:01 last evening.

Newscentre five understands, Mr. Lalla was taken a day earlier, and a $100,000 ransom was demanded for his release.

Police say a portion of the ransom had already been paid.

The Hunters Search and Rescue was asked to assist in finding Mr. Lalla

Captain Valence Rambarath has confirmed the find.

It is said two suspects, one, a police officer are in custody.

Investigators believe Lalla may have been murdered, before the ransom demand was even made.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

GLITZY DEVELOPMENTS TO COME, SAYS MINISTER JEARLEAN JOHN…

Works and Infrastructure Minister Jearlean John present, several of the projects to come on stream.

During a power point and video presentation yesterday, minister John revealed several glitzy developments.

Her first reveal was linked to National Security.

The minster unveiled a sprawling prison facility, complete with a national security complex, command centre and onsite courtroom, to be built in Tamana. 

Minister John also announced an end to the Carrera Island Prison, and the start of a spanking new five star resort. 

She explained that lands, which once housed inmates, would become communities with art and cultural performance halls.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS NOT AT WAR WITH ANYONE, AN ASSURANCE FROM THE PRIME MINISTER…

Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar is again, assuring Trinidad and Tobago is at war with no one.

Yesterday, responding to questions from reporters in Tobago, the prime minister sought to quell concerns and anxieties.

United States media last week told of plans by the Donald Trump administration, to move in on Venezuela and target facilities.

Those reports caused panic and chaos on the roads.

She also dismissed perceptions that she and her government intend to pull, Trinidad and Tobago out of Caricom.

Prime Minister Persad Bissessar said, she has no reason to believe the tensions in and around local waters are affecting Tobago’s tourism.

The prime minister has been getting flack at home and abroad, for her support from the US led military strikes on boats said to be carrying drugs and guns from Venezuela.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

A SERIES OF EVENTS & MEETINGS TODAY AS THE PRIME MINISTER PAYS AN OFFICIAL VISIT TO TOBAGO…

An official visit to Tobago by, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has started.

The prime minister last night arrived with a delegation, which includes ministers and parliamentary secretaries from some ministries.

The trip comes on the invitation of Tobago House of Assembly’s Chief Secretary Farley Augustine, under provisions of act 40 of 1996.

Mrs. Persad Bissessar will pay a courtesy call on the chief secretary, and Tobago’s autonomy is among the items on the agenda of the visit.

Our correspondent Elizabeth Williams yesterday, outlined some of the activities the prime minister will participate in today. 

The minority in the Tobago House of Assembly is skeptical about the visit.

The PNM in the house of assembly sees a special sitting, of the legislature as a betrayal of the people of Tobago.

It is also warning, Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bisessar against using the issue of autonomy, to cloud the upcoming THA election.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

MP KEITH SCOTLAND NOT IMPRESSED BY GOVERNMENT’S TREATMENT OF RUMORS OF WAR IN NEARBY VENEZUELA…

Port of Spain South MP, Keith Scotland is convinced the government badly handled the chaos, which followed US reports a strike on Venezuela was imminent.

Last Friday, there was panic in Trinidad and Tobago after media reports in the United States, told of plans by forces to enter Venezuela and target some facilities.

Here at home there was talk that the defence force, and the police service were called out and put on alert.

The Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar told reporters she was not aware of any such plan by the US, or the calling out of soldiers and police officers.

Mr. Scotland earlier this morning said, the government caused the panic, with some work places and schools allowing staff and students to leave early.

Mr. Scotland also said, the rationale for the extension of the SOE is not good enough.

After hours of debate, the opposition Peoples National Movement rejected the government’s bid, for an extension of the state of emergency.’

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

CONTAINERS OF RELIEF SUPPLIES ON THEIR WAY TO HURRICANE BEATEN JAMAICA…

Several containers have been loaded and are being sent to hurricane-ravaged Jamaica, from Trinidad and Tobago.

It is the first shipment of supplies to be sent by this country, since the devastating hurricane Melissa.

Yesterday Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar visited the Phlipdeco warehouse complex, where the loading was being conducted.

The prime minister is convinced, the people of Jamaica will rebuild in quick time.

She has created an inter-ministerial committee to oversee aid to Jamaica, which she called her second home.

The committee is being led by Foreign and Caricom Affairs Minister, Sean Sobers.

The minister said, Trinidad and Tobago students, who were unable to come home, have been reached and they are safe.

Jamaica’s information minister Dana Morris Dixon yesterday, told the media at least 19 people have died as a result of hurricane Melissa

The minister also said, search and rescue efforts continue, and authorities try to get aid to hard-hit areas.

The hurricane, one of the most powerful to strike the Caribbean, has also killed at least 30 people in Haiti.

Electricity remains out, to most of the island and as people try to salvage damaged homes and belongings from, floodwaters and mud, many thousands are growing increasingly desperate for aid.

There are parts of the country that have been without water, for several days.

In the French speaking Caricom member state, Haiti, at least 23 deaths have been recorded – 10 of them children – largely due to flooding after days of relentless rain, despite the country avoiding a direct hit.

The storm also claimed one life in the Dominican Republic.

Posted in Local News, News, Regional News, Top News | Leave a comment

T&T IS NOT AT WAR WITH VENEZUELA SAYS, DEFENCE MINISTER STURGE…

Defence Minister Wayne Sturge says, Trinidad and Tobago is not at war with Venezuela, but if this happens, the Americans would come to its rescue.

As tensions escalate among Venezuela the United States and Trinidad & Tobago, the minister yesterday said, people should not panic.

In an interview with TV6 earlier this week, minister Sturge insisted the United States is taking action against Venezuela, in order to wipe out narco drug traffickers in this part of the region.

He notes the attacks on the prime minister by Venezuela’s Vice-President, Delcy Rodriguez.

Minister Sturge’s comments come, as the American missile destroyer USS Gravely remains docked at the Port of Spain port, conducting joint exercises with the Trinidad and Tobago defence force.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

GOVERNMENT PLANS TO EXTEND THE STATE OF EMERGENCY…

On Friday government will seek to extend, the state of emergency, for a second time via the parliament.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has announced her government intention, having looked at the recommendations of the security forces

Mrs. Persad Bissessar said, yesterday she is satisfied with the results of the existing S.O.E.

The current state of emergency, which was declared on July 18th , 2025, is set to expire on Tuesday, October 28th, 2025.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment