I955 FM
  • WATCH
    LIVE
  • CALL US AT:

    OFF AIR : 1-868-628-4955 (Front Desk)

    ON AIR : 1-868-622-3937 (Live On Air )

New COVID 19 infections cause panic

Two new infections have caused panic and forced the closure of branches of the Pennywise Cosmetic stores in Port of Spain.

Fears also extended to the El Socorro branch of the First Citizens Bank.

A visit by a contact of 1 of the 2 new cases caused a shutdown of Pennywise Cosmetics at the Long Circular Mall and Charlotte Street in Port of Spain yesterday.

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Roshan Parasram said yesterday the positive patient had symptoms of the virus for about a week before she sought medical attention.

But in that week the 63-year-old woman moved around in public spaces, including Pennywise.

He said the local infection should not cause panic.

The branches of the cosmetic store were closed for sanitisation exercises and are to reopen today.

The Ministry of Health last evening confirmed another positive case.

This brings the country total to 141.

The Ministry said the latest case is not imported and investigations into the origin of the infection are taking place.

Since Monday, 4 people were confirmed positive.

Last night Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley called on the public to follow the Public Health Regulations.

Dr. Rowley said there are some who return to the country and are refusing to go into quarantine.

He also said gatherings are being held which could lead to a spread of the virus.

Dr. Rowley was speaking at a political meeting in Tunapuna.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Public Utilities Minister resigns

Robert Le Hunte

A rift within the cabinet leads to the resignation the Public Utilities Minister, Robert Le Hunte.

Mr. Le Hunte tendered his resignation to Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley last Friday, the day after a verbal fight at the weekly Cabinet meeting.

On Saturday Dr. Rowley accepted the resignation.

In a release yesterday Mr. Le Hunte confirmed his departure from the Cabinet, saying it was the result of professional conflict on policy positions.

Reports are today saying, that conflict is linked to a proposal Mr. Le Hunte submitted to the Cabinet, about restructuring the Water And Sewerage Authority.

The 1.5 billion dollar proposal caused contention between the Prime Minister and Mr. Le Hunte.

According to Mr. Le Hunte, with his resignation he has given the Prime Minister the opportunity to proceed in a manner which allows the government to achieve its objectives.

The former Minister said he remains committed to the ruling Peoples National Movement and he continues to serve as Party Vice Chairman.

Mr. Le Hunte is also the Vice Chairman of the Road to Recovery Committee tasked with resetting the country’s economy post COVID-19.

Also yesterday a release from the Minister of Communication confirmed the resignation and the Prime Minister’s acceptance.

The release said the Prime Minister is in the process of making the necessary adjustments consequent to Mr. Le Hunte’s resignation.

Mr. Le Hunte assumed the position of Public Utilities Minister in September 2017.

Posted in Local News, News | Leave a comment

REPUBLIC BANK ANNOUNCE AN INCREASE IN SOME OF IT SERVICE FEES…

Customers of Republic Bank will from this Friday, begin paying higher fees for services.

The country’s largest commercial bank has announced increases across everyday services.

The changes affect both routine transactions and penalty charges, with higher costs for basic services as well as steeper fees for overdrafts, missed payments and insufficient funds.

Notable increases include higher charges for overdrafts and insufficient funds, with NSF fees rising from $34.50 to $57.50, overdraft fees increasing from $30 to $57.50, and some loan late-payment penalties doubling to as much as $100 dollars.

Debit transactions will also now attract per-transaction fees, on several accounts that previously included a limited number of free withdrawals.

There had been concerns that the country’s commercial banks would increase fees, to pass on higher costs to customers following finance minister Davendranath Tancoo’s announcement in last year’s national budget.

He said, a 0.25% levy on the assets of commercial banks and insurance companies operating in Trinidad and Tobago would be introduced.

Republic Financial Holdings Limited reported a profit attributable to equity holders of, 2.2 billion dollars for the year ending September 30th last year.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

THE POLICE SERVICE SAYS NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW – MUNICIPAL OFFICER TO BE CHARGED WITH MURDER AND FIREARMS OFFENCES…

A Municipal Police constable is charged with the brutal killing of acting corporal Anuska Eversley, a crime that unfolded inside the San Fernando Municipal Police Station, and exposed what investigators now describe as a massive internal security breach.

The 28-year-old officer, from Claxton Bay, was formally charged on Tuesday night, after consultations between homicide region III investigators and Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard.

He is also facing charges of robbery with violence, along with multiple firearms and ammunition offences tied to the same incident.

CPL Eversley, 36, was discovered dead shortly after 4:40 a.m.

On Sunday at the King’s Wharf, Lady Hailes Avenue Station.

Police says, officers returning to the charge room reportedly noticed blood leading from her living quarters.

A search led them to her body, lying motionless on a mattress.

While early reports suggested she had been shot, an autopsy has since revealed a far more violent killing.

Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro confirmed that Eversley died from strangulation, compounded by blunt force and sharp force injuries.

The commissioner described the incident as deeply disturbing, noting the gravity of a killing carried out within the confines of a police station.

Posted in News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

GLASS CEILING SHATTERED AS WOMAN BECOMES FIRST, FEMALE COLONEL IN REGIMENT’S HISTORY…

A woman is colonel in regiment’s history.

In a historic breakthrough for the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment, Colonel Jozette Mclean has risen to the rank of colonel, becoming the first woman ever to achieve this distinction in the regiment’s decades-long history.

Her promotion marks the culmination of more than 29 years of service, a career shaped by discipline, resilience, and a steadfast commitment to national duty.

Col. Mclean’s journey through the ranks stands as a powerful testament, to perseverance within one of the country’s most traditional institutions.

The milestone carries significant weight, not only for the regiment but also for women across the Defence Force, as it signals a shift toward greater inclusivity and recognition of leadership based on merit and performance.

In a message shared by the regiment, officials praised Col. Mclean’s achievement as a defining moment.

They highlighted her tenure as commanding officer of the support and service battalion, noting that her leadership left a lasting impact on both officers and enlisted personnel.

The statement also underscored the pride felt across the organization, describing her promotion as an inspiration to the next generation of soldiers who now see new possibilities within their reach.

Colonel Mclean’s accomplishment adds a new chapter to the evolving legacy of the Trinidad and Tobago regiment—one that reflects progress, excellence, and the breaking of long-standing barriers within the military landscape.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

NURSES WARN OF HEIGHTENED ACTION IF THEIR ISSUES ARE NOT ADDRESSED…

Nurses across Trinidad and Tobago continue to threaten to withhold their services, if they are not paid their just dues.

Following reports of a shortage of nurses on the weekend, nurses staged another demonstration at the, Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex yesterday.

The nurses, led by their union the Trinidad and Tobago registered nurses association, have been protesting about salaries, understaffing and working conditions since March 6th.

Association president Idi Stuart pointed the finger at the NCRHA saying, it is not acting in good faith and the nurses took action.

Mr. Stuart said, this was done without informing the nurses or their representing association.

The nurses are expected to hold another demonstration on April 10th .

Posted in Local News, News, Regional News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

THE US GOVERNMENT TO INVEST 500MILLION US DOLLARS IN THE NEW STATE OF THE ART EMBASSY…

The United States Embassy Port-of-Spain says, the United States government will invest more than us$500 million to plan, design, and construct a new embassy complex in Port-of-Spain.

In a statement issued on Sunday, officials said, the major project is expected to generate significant employment opportunities while introducing advanced, environmentally sustainable infrastructure.

The embassy said, that the new facility would incorporate state-of-the-art features, along with eco-friendly building practices, reflecting modern standards in security, efficiency, and environmental responsibility.

Posted in International News, Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

A FEMALE CRICKETER IS FOUND DEAD AT HER HOME IN CEDROS…

A woman is found stabbed to death in Cedros.

She has been identified as Reshmi Deowajit.

She was 28-year-old.

Ms. Deowajit was a professional cricketer.

Reports say, the discovery was made at Boodram Trace, Granville, Cedros.

Newscentre five understands, relatives of the woman told police they heard several screams coming from the house and went to investigate.

They say, they were forced to climb through a window, where they discovered a horrifying scene inside her home.

Police were called to the scene.

Officers say, a man has been identified as person of interest after he was reportedly last seen with, Ms. Deowajit.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

EUROPEAN UNION LEADERS REJECT US PRESIDENT HORMUZ DEMANDS…

EU leaders have almost universally rejected US president Donald Trump’s demand to send warships to escort oil tankers through the Strait of Hormuz, as the continent’s leaders strive to stay out of the war in the Middle East.

One French official going as far to say, that participating now would be buying a ticket to the titanic after it had begun sinking.

Throughout his two terms in office, US President Donald Trump has not been shy to criticize – even to attack – Washington’s NATO allies.

However his latest suggestion – that failing to secure the Strait of Hormuz would be “very bad for the future of NATO” – implies an understanding of the alliance’s purpose that has already raised eyebrows

Posted in International News, News, Top News | Leave a comment

A GOVERNMENT MINISTER CALLS FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE CHILDREN’S AUTHORITY BOARD….

The Children’s Authority Board is surprised, by the call from the line minister for its resignation.

Yesterday, minister of the People Social Development and Family Services, Vandana Mohit called on the board to go.

She said, 77 million dollars have been mismanaged at the authority

The board is appointed by, the President of the republic.

The minister told a news conference the authority owes millions of dollars, to various suppliers and agencies.

She claimed, the expenses are significant and children under the jurisdiction of the authority are at risks.

The minister said, an internal audit is being conducted, but at this time a police report has not been made.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

THE ATTORNEY GENERAL TO MOVE A MOTION TO EXTEND THE SOE FOR THREE MONTHS…

Attorney General John Jeremie will move a motion in parliament today, for the extension of the state of emergency (SOE) for a further period of three months.

On the parliament’s order paper are two motions related to the SOE, which was declared by President Christine Kangaloo on the advice of, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

The SOE took effect from March 3, 2026.

The first motion is in the name of the attorney general, where he will ask the house to take note of the statement by the president under section 9(1) of the constitution, sets out the specific grounds on which the decision to declare the existence of a state of public emergency was based.

The AG will move a second motion requesting that the proclamation made by the president on March 2, 2026, declaring that a state of public emergency exists in the republic of Trinidad and Tobago with effect from March 3, 2026, be extended for a further period of three months.

In a televised statement on Tuesday, Jeremie explained the trigger for the SOE, saying that police intelligence pointed to further imminent violent actions and planned reprisal killings by gang members, which left the government with no choice but to act immediately.

Posted in Local News, News, Tobago News, Top News | Leave a comment

SWEEPING POWERS ATTACHED TO THE LAST STATE OF EMERGENCY…

Sweeping regulations attached to the latest state of emergency, have been published.

The emergency powers regulations grant additional and heavy power to the police, and could affect social media use, protests, police searches and detentions.

While there is no curfew at this time, the regulations contain broad language that can apply to online platforms.

During the emergency period, police officers have significantly broader authority, including stop and search powers.

Officers may stop and search individuals in public places if, they reasonably suspect possession of weapons, ammunition, explosives, or prohibited prison items.

The officers may enter and search premises, vehicles, vessels, or individuals without a warrant, if they suspect evidence of certain offences.

A person may be held for up to 48 hours, and for up to seven days with the approval of a senior police officer or a magistrate.

Bail is restricted for detainees, and habeas corpus applications are suspended for persons denied bail under the regulations.

Police may also impose curfews on individuals.

They may restrict where a person may live, work, travel, or with whom they may associate.

Officers may require individuals to report their movements, order individuals to leave or stay away from specific areas.

Failure to comply with these directives constitutes an offence.

Posted in Local News, News, Top News | Leave a comment