The United States Embassy in Port of Spain has denied any involvement in the Drugs Sou Sou and says it has never sought to contact its founder, Keron Clarke.
In a statement earlier this week, Mr. Clarke said an official of the Embassy was in touch which him and was part of a conversation he had with Police Commissioner Gary Griffith.
But the United States Embassy says it has never contacted Drugs Sou Sou founder Keron Clarke.
In the Express Newspaper today, the Embassy’s Public Affairs Officer Kedenard Raymond denies any contacts between the Embassy and Mr. Clarke.
Ms. Raymond is reported as saying the Embassy in Port of Spain is aware of the reports regarding DSS but has neither contacted nor attempted to contact Mr. Clarke.
She said any report suggesting otherwise is false.
Ms. Raymond is quoted as saying corruption is a priority issue for the Embassy and as partners of both the police service and the Defense Force, it is concerned about the potential for corruption within the senior ranks.
Commissioner Gary Griffith has also denied giving Mr. Clarke any assurances.
During Tuesday’s raid on the hub of DSS, police are said to have taken away over 7 million dollars in cash, documents and receipts.
Mr. Clarke made a statement on Wednesday saying he is now under threat.
Commissioner Griffith is back home ready to lead the investigations into the Drugs Sou Sou.
Commissioner Griffith is reported as saying he has full responsibility to lead the probe into DSS and so far it has not been compromised.
An earlier raid last month led to the seizure of more than 22 million dollars, which was returned to DSS.